Coconuts, Coconuts, Co co co nuts!
Who knew so many people had a weakness of anything coconutty? I mean, really, folks have been devouring these like they were somewhat possessed. Well, I do like a good bit of excess. And why not OD on coconut - go on, grab a Bounty! Here's how: (note, as always, I have cut down the caster sugar content by 50-70g).
Makes 12 - 18 cupakes
70g Unsalted butter, softened
170g Plain Flour
180g Light brown sugar (or 170g of Caster sugar)
40g Cocoa powder, sifter
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I use a bit less)
210ml Whoe Milk (I use Almond milk)
2 Large Eggs
2-3 Chocolate Coconut bars (like Bounty)
For the Frosting
200g Icing sugar, sifted
65g Unsalted Butter, softened
25mls Coconut milk (I used Almond milk)
1-2 Chocolate Coconut bars (like Bounty)
60g Dessicated Coconut
1) Preheat the oven to 170oC / 150oC / 325oC/ Gas Mark 3, and line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin case for the number you require.
2) To make the sponge, mix the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together until they form a crumb-like consistency.
3) In a jug, mix the mix and eggs together by hand.
4) Pour in hald of the liquid mix into the drier ingredients until it is smooth, thick and combined (no lumps). Scrape down the sides and add the remaining liquid. Mix again until smooth.
5) Using an ice-cream scoop (50ml size), fill the cases until 2/3rds full (the scoop makes them even between the cases.
6) Cut the Chocolate coconut bars into 12-18 even pieces and place one pice in each unbaked cupcake.
7) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when lightly touched. Leave to cook slightly before removing from the tin and cooling completely on a wire rack.
1) Gradually mix the icing sugar and butter together slowly (adding sugar to butter in batches). Add the milk, mix slowly initially then increase your speed until it is light and fluffy.
2) Cut the remaining 1 - 2 coconut bars into pieces. Once the cupcakes are cool, spoon a generous amount of the frosting onto each cupcake and smooth over with a palette knife. Make a swirl at the top.
3) Coat each cupcake in dessicated coconut and top with a piece of Chocolate coconut bar.
As always, enjoy!